Stir fried white radish cake is a recipe that has different regional variations. Sometimes it's made using plain white radish, other times it uses a flavourful and savoury white radish cake. When stir frying, a plethora of accompanying ingredients can be added such as bean sprouts, chives, green onion, eggs, and the list goes on. Leading to even greater variation is the use of sauces such as XO sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, or whatever other sauce is needed to adjust the flavour to taste.
My personal favourite is to use a savoury white radish cake. You can find the recipe for that here: Savoury Turnip Cake (Daikon), or just purchase it at the Chinese grocer. We will also be using a teaspoon of XO Sauce. You can buy it in the grocery store, but if you prefer, make your own ahead of time using this recipe: XO Sauce Recipe
The great part about this recipe is that it is a quick meal on a weekend! You'll find that it pairs extremely well with Congee!
To make Stir Fried White Radish Cake you will need:
- Serving portion size of white radish cake, chopped into half inch cubes
- XO Sauce
- 1 Egg
- Vegetable oil
Cooking the Stir Fried White Radish Cake:
- Lightly oil the wok on medium high heat.
- Pour in the cubes of white radish cake (Daikon cake)
- Stir fry the cubes until lightly browned on most sides. Be careful not to be overly zealous with the stir-frying, the cubes may break apart!
- Crack a whole egg into the wok and stir-fry some more so that the egg becomes scrambled up in between the cubes of radish cake
- Toss in a teaspoon of XO Sauce, stir fry to mix evenly, then remove from heat.
- Plate and serve hot.