The list of ingredients are:
- Lotus root (3/4 pound, roughly 3 sections of the root)
- 2 Shiitake mushrooms
- 6 or so small dried prawns (optional)
- 1 link of Chinese sausage
- 1 stalk of green onion
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 heaping tsp of cornstarch
- 1 whole egg
- salt, sugar, vegetable oil
To make Lotus Pie:
- Use a knife to peel the Lotus Root. The grocery store may still have the lotus root linked up together, so separate them.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the lotus root into a bowl using the fine grater setting. I've found that if you use a course grating, the cooking becomes uneven.
- Finely chop all of the other ingredients
- Place all the ingredients including the Lotus Root into a large mixing bowl/pan. Add 1 heaping tsp of cornstarch, dash of salt, 1/4 tsp of sugar, and a light drizzle of oil to the bowl.
- Crack the whole egg into the bowl and proceed to mix all of the ingredients together to form an even mixture.
- Lightly oil a casserole dish with 1 tsp of vegetable oil. Transfer the Lotus Pie mixture and spread evenly.
- Prepare a steamer or double-boiler on high-heat. Steam on high heat for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.