My rendition of shrimp wontons also uses minced pork as part of the recipe. I find that having the pork provides some variation in texture and also helps to elevate the taste of the wontons.
- 1 egg (yolk and white separated)
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 1 lb. shrimp, de-veined and shells removed. Use salt to marinate for 10-15 minutes, then rinse clean under cold water, then pat dry
- 1/4 pound of pork, finely chopped
- 1 package of wonton sheets
- Set up your workstation like I have below, with the egg yolk in a small saucer.
- Take 1 sheet of wonton wrap and scoop a small amount of the filling onto the centre of the sheet. If you use too much, the wonton will burst when you cook it, so use your judgement for this part.
- Using the back end of a spoon, apply a line of egg yolk to the top and bottom corners of the wonton sheet
- Fold the top and the bottom of the sheet towards the centre
- Fold the sheet from left to right, rolling into a ball shape
- Store the wontons in the freezer for consumption at a later date.