Before I go into the actual making of the Meat Pie, there are two ingredients that I'll be using for the first time on this site. The first ingredient is Water Chestnut, and the second is "Mui Choy" (梅菜). Water Chestnut is actually not a nut, but is a vegetable that grows in marshes. The edible part is the corm that stores the food for the plant, allowing it to survive harsh growth environments. In other words, the corm is where all the flavour is as well. What makes the Water Chestnut corm fantastic for cooking is the fact that despite how you cook it, the texture remains crisp!
Mui Choy is a dried and salted mustard-cabbage. Before the advent of modern refrigeration, drying and salting effectively helped preserve food. There are supposed to be two variants of Mui Choy - a sweet and a salty version. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure which kind I have, but my gut feeling says it's the sweet version. Regardless, a step in making ANY Mui Choy dish is to wash the Mui Choy well to remove the excess salt, sand and grit.
Ingredients for Meat Pie with Mui Choy:
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 4 water chestnuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp dark soy (for colour only)
- 1 heaping tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- vegetable oil
- Open the package of Mui Choy 梅菜 (because of the inconsistency of naming this ingredient in english, I've included the written chinese name for ease purchasing in an asian supermarket). Wash the Mui Choy with lukewarm water to remove the grit and salt.
- Peel the water chestnuts and onion
- Finely chop the waterchesnuts, green onion, and onion and place a large deep dish
- Add the pork to the large dish as well.
- Add the dark soy, soy sauce, sugar, and lightly drizzle 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- Use your hands to evenly mix all of the ingredients together. Gently flatten out the meat pie to ensure even cooking throughout.
- Prepare a double boiler or steaming apparatus on high-heat. Once the water boils, lower to medium-high heat and steam for approximately 15 minutes.