Pineapple Buns with a stick slab of butter within (Bor Lor Yao) are also commonly consumed prior to attending weddings back in the day in Hong Kong if the guests know that there will be heavy alcohol consumption. The reason is that the butter will coat the stomach and delay the absorption of alcohol, and thus, delay the onset of alcohol's effects.
To make pineapple buns, you'll need:
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
The topping for the pineapple buns is made separately using:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
To make the pineapple buns:
- Mix together 1/2 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt
- Melt the butter, then add oil and milk to the butter and warm it
- Pour the butter/oil/milk mixture into the flour mixture
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture, and stir well to combine. Then beat mixture for 3 minutes
- Add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough is formed
- Dust the counter-top and knead the dough on it. Add dough little by little if it's too sticky.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it double in size, which will take roughly 1.5 hours. While the dough is rising, prepare the pineapple bun topping following the recipe further below on this page).
- After 1.5 hours, punch the dough down and let it rise again for another 1.5 hours
- Divide the dough into 12 equally sized balls, then flatten them to round, flat buns. Place them on lightly greased baking sheets and cover with a slightly damp towel for another 45 minutes so that the dough can rise a bit more.
- Take the prepared pineapple topping and roll it to a thickness of about 1/2 a cm
- Brush the buns with a small amount of water, and place the pineapple topping ontop of the buns. The water will help the topping stick to the buns.
- Take a knife and lightly score the toppings with a criss-cross pattern, kind of like grill marks on a steak.
- Lightly beat 1 egg yolk and brush the buns and toppings with it. The egg yolk will provide the buns with a nice rich yellow colour.
- Bake the buns at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (Thanks to a reader for notifying me of a terrible typo) for 10 minutes on the middle rack.
Pineapple Topping Procedure:
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy
- Add egg yolk, baking soda, and milk together, and mix well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder intot he butter mixture, and mix by hand until it's smooth and not sticky. Be careful not to manipulate it too much as it will form gluten.
- Wrap the topping in plastic and refrigerate it for an hour and a half minimum.